North Road near Weeden LaneJamestown , RI , 02835
Phone: 401-423-078441° 30' 50.8176" N, 71° 22' 14.8368" W
The old Jamestown windmill, built in 1787, stands high on Windmill Hill in the center of Conanicut Island at the entrance to Narragansett Bay. Known as a smock mill, it is a three-story octagonal structure with a domed cap, or bonnet, which can be turned. The bonnet carries the wind shaft and the sails, or sweeps. For 109 years, until 1896, the mill ground feed for animals and corn meal for human consumption.